Thursday, February 16, 2012

Remembering Gary Carter

I've dreaded writing this post for some time now.  Ever since Hall of Famer Gary Carter was diagnosed with brain cancer, I feared it was only a matter of time until "The Kid" passed away.  Sadly that day has come.  You can read about Carter's passing here.

I first met Gary Carter as a child, not more than 3 years old, at a ball game in St. Louis during a family vacation in the mid-70s.  Carter's Expos were taking on the Cardinals and it was ball day, where each youngster received a souvenir baseball.

Back then it was easier to call players over to the rail to get autographs, so my Dad did just that.  Carter willing me came over to us.  "Hey Tiger!" he said.  As we exchanged pleasantries, Carter asked if I wanted him to sign my ball.  Being 3 years of age and not knowing what an autograph was, I said "No."  Carter laughed, he wasn't use to someone refusing his autograph.  My Dad was so embarrassed.  He tried to pry the ball away from me, so Carter could sign it but I was steadfast in my resolve.

By my childhood logic I wasn't going to let anyone write on my ball.  I was going to play with my ball.
Of course as time went on and my Dad retold that story, I was so upset I missed a chance to get the autograph of a Hall of Famer.  It was one of the true regrets of my young life.

Fast forward almost 20 years later and my Dad just happened to cross paths with Carter near the tail end of his career in Montreal.  He told Carter the story, who replied he remembered that fateful day.  Then Carter offered to do something most players wouldn't.  He told my Dad to ship him the souvenir ball and he would autograph it and mail it back.

A few months later, I had just come home from visiting extended family members in Chicago and my Dad had the biggest grin on his face.  I knew that look.  It meant he was up to something.  He brings me this box and you can imagine my expression when I opened it and saw Carter's autograph on the very ball I wouldn't let him sign all those years ago.  But it wasn't just his autograph.  Inscribed to me it said:
"After all these years you still remember God bless always, Gary Carter"

What was once a story I cringed at had become one of my most treasured memories.  A few years later I was fortunate to run into Carter myself at a charity golf tournament and was able to personally thank him for what he had done.  So it is with a heavy heart, fighting back tears that I recount this tale.  Most baseball fans know what kind of ball player Gary Carter was, but I hope this story gives you a glimpse into the type of man Gary Carter was.

We'll miss you Kid.  Rest in Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for re-telling this story. It captures Gary's essence and is a tribute to him and to your father. What a great story. God Bless Gary Carter and prayers to his family during this difficult time. Rest in Peace Gary.

    ReplyDelete